Make sure you look at the pack in case it’s preserved in vinegar. I once made that mistake, thinking that pickled beetroot always comes in a jar. It doesn’t!
Beetroot Soup with Feta
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 500 grams cooked beetroot, diced
- Juice and zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Feta cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until the onion is soft.
- Add the allspice and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the potato and the carrot and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add the beetroot, the lemon juice and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Ladle into a liquidiser in batches and liquidise until smooth.
- Return to the pan and add the lemon rind.
- Serve in bowls with feta crumbled over the top.
beetroot, feta, lemon zest.